Although I love fashion year-round, Autumn / Winter is definitely my favorite time to style outfits and make my largest purchases. When I was in grade school, doing my back to school clothes shopping was probably the best bit of the going back process. Throughout all my years (and all my looks; some good some awful) I have always been obsessed with layering, which is definitely something that is characteristic of the coming months! A button up with a thick knit paired with a leather jacket and jeans, or a collared dress paired with a cardigan and an oversized blazer. Layering gives an outfit so much more personality than the plain summer look of shorts with a tee or tank top. For this post I decided to narrow down my fall clothing obsessions to five essentials. These five items are pretty much the basis of most of my fall outfits, and my recommendations for anyone looking for school must-haves! I've also created a few looks with them to show how versatile they can be. Enjoy! xx Flo
- long knit sweater: Any sweater like this is a must have, simply because it goes with everything! When it's still a bit hot in the first week of school you can wear this with a pair of distressed shorts and sandals, then when it cools off you can throw on a pair of boyfriend jeans and a beanie with it!
- lace up boots: Lace up black boots are an amazing alternative to Ugg boots when you're feeling lazy and you want to be comfortable. These boots feel just as cozy with a pair of knitted socks and your feet won't look like animal hooves (sorry Ugg lovers).
- topshop joni jeans - If you only take away one thing from this post, I want it to be Joni jeans! They are the best jeans I've ever owned and quite possibly the best jeans out there right now. I think they're flattering and go with anything, so grab a pair ASAP!
- printed dress: A printed dress can keep your fall / school wardrobe unique and can surprisingly be worn many different ways. I recommend getting one with a mostly black print so it goes well with most of your clothing.
- low top sneakers: Every year since kindergarden I've picked out a new pair of sneakers for school, and these have been my favorite to get for a few years now! I think there is something classic about white converse that making any outfit look really clean and fresh.
For this first outfit I choose to layer the printed dress with a grey knit. I think that the colors compliment each other well, and the collar peeking out gives it a put together feel. For the shoes I wanted to keep the monochrome theme of the dress, so I chose the boots; and for accessories I chose a embroidered messenger bag and black ribbed beanie.
This outfit is one I would wear in the colder weeks of fall. I love this Zara jacket with leather panels. I added a pair of patent leather brogues to go with the jacket too, I think leather accents are my favorite part of any outfit.
For this outfit I decided to go for a medium wash denim shirt over a black knit sweater with the joni jeans. I think that denim shirts are great for fall because you can wear them alone or over things! They're the perfect weight to keep you warm when a jacket is too much. This outfit is pretty much my go-to for school. Comfy but still stylish.
Lastly, I like this outfit because the cropped jumper shows off the cut of the Joni jeans! Cropped pieces might seem like a summer trend, but when worn the right way they totally work for winter. With a longline leather jacket and white sneakers, this look is perfect for school or going out on the weekend.